1. People & Relationships

Can a 17-Year Old Date a 24-Year Old?

By January 21, 2010

From the Teen Advice Forum:

I'm a student in high school and I've been dating my boyfriend for almost a year. I turned 17 this year and he turned 24. He thinks that he is robbing me of my teen years, which I don't agree with because I'm quite mature for my age.

I can't see myself without him. He makes be feel beyond better than anyone ever has. Is this a problem about the age or not? I need some advice. Badly.

My advice for her can be found here.

What do you think - can she and her boyfriend be happy together? Will age always be an issue? Should they break up right this instant? Leave your advice in the Teen Advice Forum so she'll find it!
Comments
January 25, 2010 at 5:49 pm
(1) Ramone Kauffmann says:

You could be happy together, maturity is never an issue as long as you can be serious when you have to. However the age diference between 17 to 24 is great on the experience point of view, I’m sure you could be happy however there would probably be greater growth otherwise.

January 25, 2010 at 11:39 pm
(2) mred says:

Sorry but my advice goes a different way than most people would tell u. I met my wife when she was 16 & i was 30. My friends & family & her friends & family were totally against this relationship. But we both made up our minds that were going to make it work. She went through high school & did all the fun things that people her age did except for the sex. I helped her get through college Then after college we got married when she was 24 & i 38. Today i am 60 & she is 46 & we never regreted anything we did or the choices we made. If we were to back in time we would do it again with no problem. We have been very happy all these years. Now i cant say that the same will be for u & him But if u truly truly love each other forget the age difference, all that is nothing but a number in a calendar. If u love each other make up ur mind to stay together & dont worry about what anyone else says. Its what u both think its what matters. I hope u have a life together like me & my wife. GOOD LUCK…ED

January 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(3) shanesse says:

u know i think it is very wrong for you to date someone so old… you know you have to make sure he’s not using you or anything… i just think its plain dumb… you know there are millions of fish in the sea he’s not ur nemo…

March 10, 2010 at 2:28 pm
(4) charlotte says:

i think you should go for it! i like this guy and he likes me, im 16 and he’s 26 and were soul mates, age does not matter, its the person that counts defiantly not the age. i agree with the first person who commented. Listen to how happy he is. i hope me and my partner stay together forever and are as happy as he is now with his wife. everyone has different opinions but its what is in the heart that matters not whats in your head or what everyone thinks and says, its your own life. i hope all is well for you, good luck. x

June 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(5) jacqueline says:

hey if you love him go for it. im 17 ill be 18 next month and my man is 24 hes turning 25 in oct. hes amazing i know what ur talking bout. im in love with my man and hey age is nothing but a number in the factor of love. as long as u love eachother then go for it. theres nothing wrong with it and ignor everyone who tells u otherwise cuz then they just dont know what they r talking bot

April 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(6) Briana says:

If your in love I too say go for it !
I’m 17 and won’t be 18 til another 10months and my man is 24 and wil b 25 in sep.
We are happy together and love eachother with all our hearts and the main 3 people who are ok with me and him are my 2 bestfriends and my granny and u know what who cares wat other ppl think! Age ain’t nothing but a number and it should not effect ur happiness or love! My friend is 17 n is with a 26yr old and they are completly happy so don’t worry and screw what ever1 else thinks just be happy! Only you can determin your happiness! As long as he takes care of u and don’t force u 2 do stuff then that’s great! :)
I wish y’all the best of luck!!!

May 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(7) A friend.:) says:

I think that you love him saty wid him. I’m 15 and iv been been wid my boyfriend (his 22) for 2 years now and I’m so happy wid him. I say go with it! We already decided that after collage will get married.:) so just enojy every secound you spend wid him!:)