Leaving high school can be hard on a friendship. Some friends will drift away because of distance and new interests. But best friends are priceless, and you need to do what you can to keep them.
Time Required: A lifetime or 20 minutes a month
- Talk with your friend about her/his plans for the summer and next year.
- Make sure you get all her/his contact information (address, phone number, email) before graduation.
- Do something special together (road trip, concert, camping trip, etc) before the end of the summer.
- Take lots of pictures.
- Don't let a month go by without contacting your friend. Take the initiative!
- Be honest with her/him about the new things you experience, even if you don't feel like s/he can relate.
- When you have the opportunity, do something special again. Make this a tradition.
- Repeat steps 3-7 for the rest of your life!
- Staying best friends does not mean that your friendship will stay the same. As you get older and change over time, so will your friendship.
- Make your friendship a priority. It may not be as convenient as it was in high school so it takes more effort.