All you need to accomplish this task is an attraction to another person, the desire to tell him/her how you feel about them, and the willingness to take a risk.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Get alone with him/her or call him/her on the phone.
- Talk about stuff.
- Relax. Take a deep breath.
- Smile (even if you're on the phone). Remember that s/he will be flattered by your question.
- Pop the question: '[name], will you go out with me?'
- Relax, pay attention.
- Listen to his/her reply.
- Don't interrupt!
- If the answer was 'Yes,' congratulations! Within the next 24 hours, let him/her know how much you appreciate him/her.
- If the answer was 'No,' that stinks, I know. Respect his/her decision and talk with him/her about where to go from here, especially if you're friends.
- Do something to make him/her feel special (send a card, give a flower, compliment him/her, write a letter).
- Be confident. Believe in yourself!
- Do not put your value as a person in their answer. If s/he says no, you're OK with yourself.
- Know that there is somebody out there for you, even if the person you want right now isn't interested.