Unrequited love can be just as bad for the person doing the rejecting. Here is how to say 'no thanks' and still feel good about yourself.
Time Required: 5 - 15 minutes
- Don't lead the person to believe you may be interested.
- Be polite and smile.
- Get to the point quickly.
- Tell them you appreciate their interest in you but your feelings toward them aren't the same.
- Be nice; don't say you'd rather be friends if you have no intention of staying friendly.
- Make it as painless as possible by being direct and NOT saying something like, 'if things were different.'
- Don't over explain or make excuses -- you are not interested, plain and simple.
- You may think that being blunt seems mean but, in fact, it is much more mean to let somebody who doesn't have a chance with you think that they might.
- Maintain eye contact, keep a calm and steady tone, smile and be polite.
- Remember that the person being rejected may get angry and call you names -- don't take it personally, it is anger talking.
- Remember that the person being rejected may act desperate to get you to change your mind -- don't give in to the antics.