Recently I got an email from Jessilyn, a 16-year old girl. The email was full of really great advice for guys her age - guys who are interested in finding out what all the girls around them really want in relationships. If you're one of those guys, read on to find out what a girl wants from you for real. (And if you've got your own article that you'd like to submit to Teen Advice, do it here).
1. Girls Don't Only Like Confident Guys
Blend Images - Terry Vine/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
We get a little worried if you freeze up when we talk to you, but otherwise, it's OK to be shy. It makes it even more impressive if you approach us first. Take a chance; don't hold back. It's better than spending your entire life wondering "what if...?"
2. Girls Don't Care Much About Your Bad Skin
Acne isn't rare in teens! Most girls will see past it, so don't stress. It's likely that the majority of people around you also have acne, including girls. One day you'll get over the acne stage, but for now, just know it's not a factor that girls care too much about.
3. Girls DO Care About HygieneIt's OK to let yourself go sometimes, like on the weekends or when you're out getting sweaty. But a guy who showers daily, shaves regularly, brushes his hair and teeth and has nice nails is appealing. But don't wear nail polish! Not to be sexist, but it's unappealing to most girls because it's feminine. Also, some girls can't stand guys who bite their nails, so try not to. (Though we do it sometimes, too.)
4. Don't Be Afraid to Have FunWhen it comes to flirting and dating, have fun and be yourself. That way, if you don't get the girl in the end, you'll still have your friends, some great memories, and your whole life ahead of you. Don't push your friends away or fight over a girl or anything like that. It's never worth it.
5. Not Every Girl Wants the Stereotypical, Masculine Guy
You know...like guys with big muscles, a six-pack and tanned skin. I, myself, prefer a guy who's more natural looking. If you like to work out and take care of yourself, then by all means, go for it, that's great! But don't go overboard 'cause at the end of the day, you still have to be cuddly :)
6. Girls Won't Stand for Being UsedDon't even think about asking a girl out if you're going to use her and then dump her! Most girls don't want to have sex until they're married or have met the right person. Don't ever force a girl to do anything, and don't try to get a girlfriend just to get lucky. If that's the case, give up now. We're looking for someone to love, to date long-term, and to adore for the way they make us feel.
7. Girls Don't Like to Be Teased Too MuchWe hate it and get the complete wrong idea from it. It makes us feel self-conscious, and often, if a guy who teases a girl ends up asking her out, she'll have her doubts and be put off. Treat her well - compliment her, strike up conversations. Don't sit on MSN waiting for her to make the first move. Girls love a man who makes the first move.
8. The "Bad Boy" Thing Probably Won't WorkThe "bad boy" persona isn't appealing to all girls. If you try to be "bad" for a girl and things with you two don't work out, then your reputation is ruined. And if you're not really a bad boy, then you're being fake. You're better off just being yourself.
9. Don't Use More Hair Products Than We DoI do admit, some guys can look really hot when they pull of the gelled/spiked-up look, but really - it gets weird if you spend more time on your hair in the morning than we do. And don't just go and dye your hair some super gross color that makes you look awful. Natural is often better.
10. Girls Like You Just the Way You AreGirls don't expect you to change. We love you whether you're large, skinny, tall, short...whatever. WE LOVE YOU. The little things you do can be more than enough to get a girl hooked: open a door, pick up something she's dropped, say hi, help her when she's struggling in class...whatever it is, she will appreciate it. Whenever a guy does something to or for a girl - good or bad - we'll think about it for the next few minutes or right up until we go to bed at night. Don't confuse us or leave us with a bad impression of you.