Doing a mini-meditation or a breathing-and-focusing exercise a few times during the day can do wonders for your concentration and your energy levels. It's great for stress relief, too. All you need are a few little breaks during your day -- three to five minutes long -- and a quiet space such as a bedroom, a park, or even (believe it or not) a bathroom stall.
Here's what to do to relieve stress and achieve that energy boost:
- Choose your meditation spot.
- Sit down or assume another comfortable position.
- Close your eyes.
- Take 10 slow, deep breaths.
- Clear your mind of as many thoughts as possible.
- Focus on a soothing image from nature such as a tropical island, a mountain vista, or a group of slow-moving clouds.
- Slowly take in 10 details about your peaceful scene: the sound of the waves, the colors of the trees, etc.
- Open your eyes.
- Stretch out your arms and legs.
- Take in your surroundings.
- Go back to what you were doing before feeling renewed and refreshed.